Dr. Caroline I. Esche is a dual-qualified attorney, licensed to practice law also in Germany. She practices corporate and general business law, with a particular emphasis on international investment and trade. She provides practical legal and strategic advice on a broad range of matters, including regulatory compliance, technology transactions, financing, acquisitions and employment law.
Caroline works with European companies to set up and manage their subsidiaries in the United States. She also advises US companies on their investments and trade activities in Germany. She is the author of the German-language blog Das US-Geschäft on doing business in the United States.
Previously, Dr. Esche practiced at the Washington DC law firm Rubin Winston Diercks Harris & Cooke LLP, where she was a member of the defense team that represented the Federal Republic of Germany in litigation under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act.
Dr. Esche serves as a vice-chair of the International Commercial Transactions committee of the American Bar Association Section of International Law.
She is admitted to practice before the United States Court of International Trade.
Caroline received her JD degree from Columbia University. Prior to that, she had received her JD-equivalent German law degree and a PhD from the University of Münster, Germany. She subsequently clerked for the Düsseldorf Court of Appeals where she also passed the Second State Exam in Law.
Dr. Esche regularly lectures before European chambers of commerce and bar associations on the legal aspects of doing business in the United States.
+1 202 790-2500
- Juris Doctor: Columbia University, New York
- First State Exam in Law: University of Münster / Hamm Court of Appeals, Germany
- Second State Exam in Law: Düsseldorf Court of Appeals, Germany
- PhD: University of Münster, Germany
- District of Columbia
- American Bar Association
- Section of International Law: Vice-Chair of the International Commercial Transactions Committee
- Business Law Section
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Women’s Foreign Policy Group
- Rechtsanwaltskammer München
- Deutscher Anwaltverein
- Verband der Stipendiaten und Altstipendiaten der Friedrich-Naumann-Stiftung
- Deutsch-amerikanische Juristenvereinigung
- German, English, French, Italian